The Family Selection Committee is currently taking applications. Selecting and partnering with families is the foundation of Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity. We solicit and screen applications, interview prospective families and approve families for home ownership. We help families and individuals break the poverty cycle by providing them with a hand up, not a hand out.
Approval can take up to three months. Time within the Habitat program takes between six to 12 months. Applicants must meet three basic criteria:
- A need for simple, decent, affordable housing. A need could include families who are currently living in a substandard structure, overcrowded unit, paying more than 30 percent of their income for housing, are in temporary shelter, or are at risk of losing their housing.
- Have the ability to pay for the mortgage and fall between 35% and 60% of HUD median income for Victoria County
- Willingness to partner with Habitat by completing "sweat equity" requirements
After acceptance into the Habitat program, each adult must:
- Contribute 300 hours of "sweat equity" per adult to the building of their home and the homes of other Habitat families.
- Attend six home buyer education classes.
- Attend the Financial Peace University classes.
- Ensure no one in the household is involved in criminal activity.
- Learn as much as possible to become a successful home owner and assume the responsibilities of home ownership.
About the Habitat Houses
The houses built by Habitat families and volunteers are simple, decent single family homes.
Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity housing agency.
They vary from 900 to 1,300 square feet, depending on family size.
They have central heat and air conditioning and yards for the families to enjoy.