Creates The Opportunity To Build A Better Life
Apply For A Home
The Family Selection Committee is currently taking applications. Selecting and partnering with families is the foundation of Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity. We solicit and screen applications, interview prospective families and approve families for home ownership. We help families and individuals break the poverty cycle by providing them with a hand up, not a hand out.
Approval can take up to three months. Time within the Habitat program takes between six to 12 months. Applicants must meet three basic criteria:
- A need for simple, decent, affordable housing. A need could include families who are currently living in a substandard structure, overcrowded unit, paying more than 30 percent of their income for housing, are in temporary shelter, or are at risk of losing their housing.
- Have the ability to pay for the mortgage and fall between 35% and 60% of HUD median income for Victoria County
- Willingness to partner with Habitat by completing “sweat equity” requirements
After acceptance into the Habitat program, each adult must:
- Contribute 300 hours of “sweat equity” per adult to the building of their home and the homes of other Habitat families.
- Attend the Financial Peace University classes.
- Ensure no one in the household is involved in criminal activity.
- Learn as much as possible to become a successful home owner and assume the responsibilities of home ownership.
Lived in DeWitt, Goliad, Jackson, Lavaca or Victoria Counties for the past 12 months.
Have consistent work for the past two years.
Family income meets the Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity income guidelines (see below).
Have not filed for bankruptcy in the last two years, and, if filed in the past seven years, have demonstrated an improved financial condition.
Must be able to open a TDECU account.
Every Habitat homeowner carries a mortgage at 0% interest which must be repaid over a 30-year period. Golden Crescent Habitat for Humanity guarantees that monthly payments will equal no more than 30 percent (Federal guidelines for affordability) of their income at the time of purchase, leaving adequate income for other necessities such as food, clothing, transportation and health care.
Clients who are concerned about their credit or debt may contact Habitat to find out about other agencies that may be able to advise them on how to improve their credit standing.
|Family Size||Income Range|
|1 Person||$1,476 – $2,530|
|2 People||$1,686 – $2,890|
|3 People||$1,896 – $3,250|
|4 People||$2,106 – $3,610|
|5 People||$2,275 – $3,900|
|6 People||$2,444 – $4,190|
|7 People||$2,613 – $4,480|
|8 People||$2,783 – $4,770|
All income is Monthly Gross (before taxes). Confirmation will be required.
Currently accepting applications for Goliad County, Dewitt County, LaVaca County and Jackson County. We will resume accepting applications for Victoria County in May 2022.
* Please note there is a $25 application fee that must be paid by money order at the time of your application appointment.
Documents To Bring For Your Application
Acceptable Income Documents
- Previous two years’ Income Tax Returns and proof of filing for each year required. If you do not have copies of your tax returns and proof of filing, your application will be automatically denied as incomplete.
- From employer: 1099, W2 or Domestic W2
- Payroll stubs for the past three months
- Court order for Child Support and record of payment for 12 consecutive months
- SSI letter stating amount of monthly payments
- Social Security Administration letter verifying disability and amount of monthly payments
- Utility bills in your name (electric, gas, phone, cable, etc.)
- Current house or apartment money orders or checks
- Loans (including student loans/credit cards/car payments, etc.)(must show remaining principle balance)
- Current residential lease agreement
- Driver’s License/ID
- Social Security Card
- Divorce decree
*Any co-applicants must be present at time of application and must bring documentation as well